Thursday, October 16, 2014

Test ride, working well



Leaning against the tree, because no kick stand.

Today was the test ride, with the bike working nearly at full capacity. The FD is still not working (I have the wrong kind on it, but it was salvage, and the right size. This will help when getting the correct one. Plus, I think it was broken when I put it on there.)

There were a few issues, minor mostly. I had to raise the seat up a few inches, and keeping my feet on the pedals correctly was a bit of a challenge. After a year of riding Fixed, not having toe cages or straps was a new challenge.

The other big issue, which got worse as I rode, was that the seat clamp was loose. Not the post, but the coupler for the seat to the seat post. This made for an interesting ride at points. There was a point where I found the seat to be the most comfortable seat I had ever ridden on. (Much to my surprise, since the seat wasn't always that nice on the road bike.) Sadly, as the clamp was loose, the seat would rotate up and down based on my weight distribution at that time. In effect, it would quickly go from super comfortable and worth the money I shouldn't have spent a few years ago to attempting a prostate exam. That was not fun. At all.

When the seat did behave though, the bike did quite well. Shifting could be a little nicer, but still very good. I expect that might be more the older free-wheel than anything. It cornered well, and with tires about twice as wide (I swear they look wider than that) it easily took any bumps I hit. (Unfortunately, those bumps messed with the seat position)

A more minor issue was that I felt like I was just wasting power. I needed a higher cadence than I am used to, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. In many ways, it is expected from a Mountain bike. Looking at the top gear ratio and tire diameter, and comparing it to my fixie, I am getting about 15% less distance per pedal rotation. Factor in the wider tires and increase drag they present... On the plus side, being used to moving the fixie from a stop meant that keeping the top gear (of 2-7) was still easier to start from than I am used to.

Even so, the ride wasn't that bad for speed considering the route I used, getting used to the bike, and the seat issue. Part of the power issue might just be from using straight platform pedals. I have spare toe cages that I might be able to adapt. I will also move the rack from the KHS, and I think the kick stand, next week.

I tightened the seat when I got home, but I won't be taking a second ride until probably Monday or Tuesday. With the Marathon coming this weekend, I won't be doing anything else major in the way of exercise for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment