Friday, October 10, 2014

Build part 2, no progress to report

I didn't really expect any major progress today to begin with, so there is that. I stopped by the LBS to look about a stem, but didn't end up getting one. (Decent prices, I might go back and get the stem after the Marathon next weekend.)

A strange thing to me is that the SRAM shifters that were on my Voyageur were paired with a Shimano free-wheel originally. On the plus, I at least know that getting a Shimano style 7-spd wheel and free-wheel will work well in the final build. I will probably split out the wheels over a few weeks, cheaper piece-meal than as a wheelset, for whatever reason. The rear dérailleur won't be to expensive, though I should get a seat post. (And a seat.) The wheels are the only really expensive thing on the list, but they are not really a big challenge at the moment.

I did pull the seatpost and seat from an old Free Spirit I had in the basement. It was too small for the bike though. I thought it needed a 25.4mm post, which should be easy enough. Nope, the Purefix seatpost was too small. A quick online search shows I need a 26.2mm post. That may be a little harder to find, but far from impossible. I will probably just have to take it into the bike shop and try a bunch to be sure.

I found my spare pedals (since my main bikes have been swapped to cage pedals) so I added those to the parts bin for this build.

Of course, this is something I want to do. I might actually have the bike set up better than when it was new. Now, to be fair, Bluebook for the bike in the original configuration 'like-new' is only $67. I will probably spend that on the wheels. I might (doubt it) pull it out for under $100, but even if I pay $134 by the time it is done, I still think I will be well off. Of course, part of it is enjoying the journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment