Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Day 5, 6. Almost complete

The Mongoose is now a bike. Lacking a few parts, but not many.

Monday I stuck the shifters and brakes on, which really didn't count for much.

Today, when I went to make my car payment, I stopped by Carty's and looked at parts. He had a 'nearly scrap' Next bike. $25 bucks, and I stripped it for what I could use. I got a FD that probably won't work, but it does have the right clamp size. The RD is the wrong type, though correct speed. I might be able to trade it at the Co-op though. I also got the triple crankset, aluminium pedals, seat post, etc. The handlebars were decent, but the screws were stripped, so the frame and fork went to the salvage yard. I got a buck sixty for that. That helped offset the cost for crank bolts, since the Next had a weird BB that used nuts. Neither the headset nor BB were worth removing, so I ignored them.

I also got 2 additional wheels, with air-holding tubes, and the rear was in better shape than the QR one I already had. The front wasn't as good, so I have a QR in front and bolt in the back. Still, spare wheels are good.

I am donating off the AL pedals, because I don't care for them. (Yes, I preferred the plastic ones I already had.) I am also donating the Next's seatpost and seat, as well as the brake levers. I am also donating the front grip shifter. The rear was destroyed and not worth repairing, if that was even an option.

I did get the front brake working, with a little helpful advice from the LBS. I never thought about using the QR to adjust the way the wheel was centred, unscrew one side a few rotations, and then tighten the other side. Simple, yet not obvious to me. The rear brake will be easy, but I need shifter housing to use it, same for the FD.

This leaves the bike at a point where I need a direct mount RD, chain, and housing. Really, it is almost done. If I can get the RD from the Co-op, I might be able to ride the bike next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment