Thursday, October 9, 2014

Catch up

I havn't updated the blog since just after the 3rd time trial of the TT series, for a few reasons. I missed the 4th time trial because I had my car broken into during a training run in early August, and didn't get my car back until after the race. (My car has the bike carrier, plus the space to put the bike without taking it all apart.) Having to replace my DL, as well as all the locks to the house, get new credit and debit cards, etc, as well as the copay for the repairs to the car drained out our finances just in time for buying back to school stuff for the kids.

The Tour de Donut went well though, coming in at 78th out of 96 riders in my age group. I completed the course, which was just under 100 KM in 4:14:09.3, and got an adjusted time of 3:49:09.3 after eating 5 donuts. (5 was all I could down this year, my body wasn't happy with me.)

The Tour was done on my KHS bike, with the original tires on it again. After a series of random flats, I was riding and something felt off (about 2 weeks before the Donut) but I wasn't able to find it at first. I was a few miles from home, near the newly opened connector of bike path, so I could walk it home if I needed to. I got off, checked closely, and found a tire bulge.  The new tires from last year were toasted, well, the rear anyways, so I replaced with my original tires. (Yeah, I keep everything. I really need to get rid of the bad parts though...) On the plus side, the tires (700cX26) are easier to install than the x25's were, and inflate an extra 25 psi.

In the last month, Glowie has gotten two rear flats while sitting on the enclosed porch. I havn't figured that one out yet, I didn't find any holes in the tube the first time, and didn't find anything in the tire or wheel to lead the way. I also have a flat on the front tire of the Schwinn Varsity. I think I have a spare tube for it, since it seems the valve is bad. Also, the bike pump doesn't want to work on Schrader valves anymore. I don't know if the hose can be replaced, but probably just as easy to replace the pump. I might just grab a Walmart one, since the bikes in the house that use it are not often used, and have lower pressure tires.


It is now the end of cycling season for me, since this is Ohio, and October doesn't always make things pleasant for outdoor rides. I do have the trainer, so that will help, but no more races until spring. I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment