Saturday, October 11, 2014

Day 3, some progress

I did make some progress today, and the bike is beginning to take shape. I went to the LBS (short hours due to be a Saturday during band season) and rummaged around in the back of the shop trying various seatpost and stems, finding ones that would fit.

I ended up needing a 26 mm seatpost, and I got a chrome (or was it cromaly?) seatpost, and the stem installed. There is a little gap at the top of the headset where I assume there used to be a gasket at one point. As long as I do well with maintenance, it shouldn't be a problem.


I have the stem and seatpost as low as I can, I will need wheels before I will be able to adjust the height. Next though, I need to find the brakes and a handlebar. The latter should be easy, ditto for the brakes.

I plan on doing 4 hours volunteering at the non-profit tomorrow, but with the Marathon next weekend, I will have to skip a week.

(In case you are wondering, yes, I put a seat on. I am not counting it for the moment, and plan on swapping it back out soon. I am planning on likely making this my day to day bike, and trading up my KHS. This saddle is the Selle Italia one that cost me well over $100 a few years ago when I had a little more money. I put the OEM back onto the KHS for now.) I might put the original Varsity saddle back and put the replacement onto this one. That may be a better overall match.

I did find a single spot where the headset binds. It just so happens to be in a spot where the wheel would have to be turned 180 degrees. As such, it shouldn't be an immediate problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment