Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Day 7 - "Done"

The build in almost done. The FD is the wrong one, but that will be a cheap fix later. For now, the bike is ready to be ridden. I did spend a little more than I had hoped, but I will get my moneys worth from the bike, I have no doubts.

Tomorrow, I will give it a whirl. With the front dérailleur stuck on the middle gear, it won't be fast, but it should be fine. I don't know the tooth count yet, I haven't counted, but I expect it to be around a 32~34 ring, a bit slower than my Fixie's 44. I do still have access to all 7 gears on the free-wheel, so it will still perform.

I sat on the saddle today, balancing in the doorway to the living room. It is much easier to balance on 26x1.95 tires than it is to balance on 700x25 tires. The top tube is about an inch or two lower than the Royce Union bike I used to have, and the fit feels almost perfect. I will add climbing bars eventually. I swear it seems like the kind of thing I should already have laying around the house somewhere.

Still, everything left is largely fine tuning. I might wait a while to fix the FD, and  I am happy with the outcome of my first self built bike.

Pics and such after the first ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment