Wednesday, October 30, 2013

What part of TURN don't I understand?

Went out for a quick ride on Glowie, which became an adventure in the last three blocks.

It started out well, since I didn't have a lot of time, I took the bike on a route I hadn't used with that bike yet. (The weather was beautiful, it was supposed to rain, instead they now predict horrible weather for tomorrow.) The Strava segments were not my best, and one of them was among my worst.

What was interesting about the trip was that I did an out and back to the current end of the local bike path with a turn around in a construction zone. Measuring from the footbridge (Why the Hell does Piqua have two bridges on the bike path with stairs?) to the construction site, Strava gives it around 1.8 miles. (It varies on two different pages for the same segment.) It took me 7:56 to head out, and only 7:55 to return. Only 1 second difference in the two directions, which I really find amusing.

I felt good coming out of the last section of the route, and got onto Main street. Seeing the light was still green, I gunned it. I realized as I entered the turn at somewhere north of 20 mph that I was on a fixie, and I wasn't about to coast that turn. I had to accept that I was probably going to crash into the curb, and it was probably going to freaking hurt, so I did the only reasonable thing I could decide in the fraction of time allowed, I changed direction and aimed for the curb head on. I managed to jump my front wheel up, and the rear may have come up as well, but it hit the curb hard, and I felt the bike momentarily ride only on the front wheel onto the grass and gravel of the parking lot / grass of the factory on the corner. The bike felt a bit wobbly as I headed out from there for the few blocks home, but my speed was about normal. Once home, I put the bike on the repair stand, cleaned it up a bit, and adjusted the rear wheel. No visible damage to the bike, not the frame, not the wheel, not the tire. It did knock the wheel loose, but it was an easy thing to tighten, and I actually got the lag out of the chain this time. (So it is now, in theory, better than before my ride today.)

I don't really want to think what would have happened had that been my road bike I was on at the time. That is the second incident that I am lucky to have walked rode away from this year. (And I didn't destroy my wheels this time!)

If I had a tail light, I'd have gone out for another ride. It looks great out there, a shame the Indiana Weather Service has predicted some real nasty weather for tomorrow. (Which includes Trick or Treat.)

No comments:

Post a Comment