Monday, October 7, 2013

Repairs completed, for now.

So, after an aborted attempt to remove the bottom bracket, I tried again. I went to Home Depot and got a  1 1/4" Wrench to remove the BB cups with. I then promptly stripped the drive side cup, because hey, why not?

Yeah, I did double check to make sure I knew what direction I needed to turn the blasted thing before doing it. I have done it before. I guess next time, to be safe, I will try a trick I saw online, and make a special "Tool" to keep the wrench and tool in place during removal. Extra work, but probably worth it.

I ended up trying a few dozen tricks, all of which left a destroyed BB cup (the rest of the cartridge was knocked out, fwiw) in the frame.

My normal bike shop of choice, Parker's Sport Shop was closed for vacation, and so I had called up and got an appointment with the Schwinn shop to the north. Carty doesn't have a website, so no link. They don't even have a review on Yelp at this point. The downside to Carty is that he won't tell you how to fix anything, or really what he did to fix something. Trade secrets and all that, really. I think he tells me more than some people though, since I have bought a fair amount of tools from him.

Anyways, I was told it would be about 10 days for him to get to it, so for whatever reason, he called me the next day and had it done. I know what he did, he used a power saw of some sort to cut the BB cup out, then retapped it. I didn't have the tools or knowledge to retap it anyways...

Now, I couldn't pick it up that day, so I had to wait until Wednesday morning to pick it up, after 12. So, knowing that he didn't have the size in stock that I needed (68x116 or something like that, I forgot already.) I tried  calling around. No answer from Troy's bike shop, not even an answering machine. I knew Tipp City was closed on Tuesdays, Springfield and Troy are closed on Wednesdays, Carty is closed on Thursdays (I don't know why, but I knew he didn't have the part at any rate.)

This led me to doing one of 'calls of last resort.' No, not calling Smitty, the other Schwinn dealer that happens to have his shop about a mile from my house, I called Performance Bike in Dayton. Really, I try not to buy from them what I can get from a LBS instead. It didn't matter though, since didn't have any square taper BB's in stock, let alone the size I needed.

I ended up calling the Greenville bike shop, and they had it in stock as a Shimano BB-UN54. I would rather have gotten a UN55, which has two metal cups instead of the plastic one that comes with the 54, but it did save me about ten bucks.

The bike shop in Greenville opened earlier than Sidney, and by the time I got to Sidney, Carty's was still closed. So.... I got to wander around Sidney for half an hour. There wasn't really anything to see there though, and I went and picked up my bike frame from Carty.

Once I got home, it didn't take long to lube the BB and adjust the gears. I gave the chain and such a good spray of "WD-40." Now, this wasn't the normal WD40, it was WD-40 Lithium spray.

And now, my bike is back to being completely freaking quiet. (Which is odd, because I still think that there was some sound from the front wheel before I replaced the BB, but it might not make any sound unless I get out into the country again. I really need to learn to true wheels.)


No comments:

Post a Comment