Sunday, October 27, 2013

Pure Fix Zulu - review

One week ago, I got my new bike built, and I almost have the settings zeroed in. The bike, a Pure Fix Zulu, is a solid bike, once you get it adjusted.

My bike is actually a second generation Pure Fix, which gives it a nicer head badge, a second area to mount a water bottle cage, and some screws in the back to help adjust the rear wheel. The head badge is nice though, and I am happy to have the option for a second water bottle cage. (The pictures on the website show both versions.)

I still don't have it dialed in completely, partially due to wanting a newer stem. Pure Fix has an adjustable one for about $20 plus shipping. I might try to find one locally, it is a common enough part. The other main thing that is bothering me is that the rear tire seems low. The stock tires are rated for 85 PSI, and at about 200 pounds, that tire looks like it will give me a pinch flat. It hasn't happened yet, and it might just be shell shock from the many flats my road bike has gone through since I got a new wheel set.

Really though, aside from not being the most comfortable setup for me (I wish the steerer tube was taller) at the moment, that is all I can really complain about. (Well, that and a fixie is a lot harder than I am used to, since I am more used to a 24 speed bike.)  The only other thing that seems odd to me is the small difference when changing from a forward motion to a reverse motion on the pedals, if my stroke is not quite right, I feel a little jump in the chain. If I had the rear wheel in with the chain tighter, that would probably go away. It is better after I adjusted it, and if it wasn't set as a fixie and was instead was using the freewheel, it wouldn't even be an issue. Heck, I think I have noticed it on my geared bike before, and not realized it until now.)

The bike handles great though, barring some hills which I still have to get used to. There is no shifting down, and sometimes I get to the top of a hill winded and only moving a few MPH, slower than I am used to, but the expenditure to get up is more too. Going down the hills is another matter. I am still building confidence in the down-hills, not to mention the issue of turning while still pedaling at speed. Then means wider turns so far, though as I get better that will improve somewhat.

The seat isn't too bad, though it took some adjusting to make it just right. For a stock saddle, it may be the best seat I have had. I might even like it better than the expensive one I put on my road bike, though with only a 20 mile ride and a a few shorter rides, it isn't fair to say yet.

I don't mind riding though more challenging sections of the bike path either, I don't really worry about hitting a rock, or riding off onto the grass, like I would on my road bike. It is actually kinda nice to be able to not worry about the terrain as much. If not for my legs getting really tired quickly, as well as my arthritis in my hands acting up quickly, it would be perfect. Once I get a new stem, and more time on the bike, those issues won't matter.

Of course, with the Zulu, the key selling point beyond the bike itself is the glowing. I haven't ridden at night yet, partially due to not having lights on it, and partially because it is basically winter in Ohio. It is cold, almost too cold in the day time, let alone at night, to go for a ride much of the time.  But that doesn't mean I haven't seen it glow while in use. There is an underpass or two around here just dark enough that the bike will begin to glow while traversing. It is just for a few seconds, but it works beautifully. Also, when putting the bike into the house, it glows a little.  I also replaced the original hand grips with the same model of grips, except for glow in the dark. I don't know why that wasn't stock, but I like it better this way. (It isn't that I replaced them, rather I just installed the glow in the dark model instead of the regular ones during the build.) It really takes it's moment to shine though when I leave it in the living room. I turn the light out before bed, and poof, glowing bike. I love it.

I am happy with the choice to get a Zulu model. (Though it was almost out of stock when I wanted to order, I did also consider the possibility of ordering the Kilo and then the yellow glow wheels, but aside from that costing an extra $120 (though I'd have a spare set of wheels...) I really like the pure white color better.

I will admit, there is some temptation to add the Oscar to my stable, modded with bull horns. The chrome does look nice, but hey... I don't have the money for that at the moment. No matter how shiny it is.

Once I get used to it, I am sure it will be one of the more active bikes in my stable.

No comments:

Post a Comment