Thursday, February 27, 2014

When I find that Gremlin....

Oh the things I will do to it. Nasty, nasty things.

Last week, I ran into an issue when changing the gearing on my Pure Fix Zulu.  It is rare, and that is why businesses have warranties. Got a new wheel today (and a few other things I had planned on getting anyways) today, and got it installed. Now, the new wheel didn't come with a tire or tube, which makes sense. As I removed the ones from the old wheel, I thought to myself, "When you replace a tire, you put a new tube in it. I wonder if that holds true for the wheels too..."

Short answer, "yeah....."

I had the wheel, with tire on, sitting in the doorway to the room I do my repairs in, aired up, looking good, and I was getting the bike cleaned up. (I should have done that yesterday, but I hadn't gotten around to getting to the store to buy baby wipes, so I was using Simple Green. The smell brought back memories of working at Chuck E Cheese.)  BANG. I didn't even jump at the sound. After the trauma of last year and the week with 6 tubes in the KHS, I got good at changing tubes. I thought this one had gone decently well, although the valve didn't come out as far as it did on the old wheel. (The new wheel does look nicer, but a hair deeper rim on it.) I hadn't though much of it, but yeah.... I don't know if the LBS has the right tubes, since they were 60mm valves, and I hadn't gotten around to picking up a spare tube yet. (again, 60mm valves, not as easy to find.)

On the plus side, I wasn't planning on riding today anyways.

The bike was upgraded after this, since not having the tire ready didn't really have any bearing on the other stuff. I was able to switch the handlebars to a nice pair of white bullhorns, and added a rear brake. The brake came with some nice little black shimano clamps, which were great except one of the screws had the screwdriver slot poorly formed. It's just a normal screw, so I should be able to grab one from Home Depot or something for less than the gas to drive there. Really, installing the rear brake was really not that hard, it might need some tweaking once I have the tire on the wheel again though.

I do need to grab some handlebar tape still, which I had planned on getting white (The glow in the dark tape never seems to be in stock...) but with the bars being while already, I am not sure if I will go with white, black, or maybe a black/white camo combo.

(I am glad I mounted the wireless computer mount to the frame, I didn't have to find more zip ties that way.)

I really owe a lot of thanks to Pure Fix, it is rare to find a company that is easy to work with when it comes to warranty stuff. I can't wait until I get the new tire on there and can go out for a spin, even it that means using the trainer.

No comments:

Post a Comment