Sunday, June 15, 2014

2 races in a week

I had two races the first week of June, both on Glowie, and one was my best, and one my worst, race so far. (I delayed writing the blog to see if pics from the second race would get posted. They didn't.)

First off, I had the Troy Strawberry Festival Time Trial. There were a few people from the Fort Wayne team that had taken most of the podium at the TT in Fort Wayne there, which meant a good 2 hour drive. I'd see both of them again three days later at the second in the Midwest series.  I was at a bit of a disadvantage in this race, since my road bike has a few loose spokes, and wheel truing is not one of my skills. The Strawberry festival race doesn't have a FG division, just age groups. Still, I managed to shave about a minute off my time from last year, so I really can't complain too much. (Other than coming in 60th out of 65.)


I am in the Tour De Donut Jersey. I think it had just dawned on the one person that I was on a Fixie. 
The second race was also the second in the Midwest TT series, which I am competing in under the FG division. This was one of the hardest races I have ever done, mainly due to a particularly nasty hill. It was the first time I have ever had to get off of Glowie and walk up a hill. That wasn't the worst part. The hill, on the way back down a few miles later, had a few turns. I fought to keep the bike at about 30 MPH, because my legs just couldn't keep up with the pedals at that point, and I questioned if I was going to survive the race. The winner of the fixie division there said he hit 40, but he is also running a 50/15 ratio (compared to my 44/14) so he had it harder on the uphill (obviously, he is a bad-ass) and a little easier on the downhill, since at the same speed, his pedals rotate less.

TT2 - Bellbrook
(I know the link says I got 4th overall, it does that sometimes when somebody makes a new course the day of a race, and then there are about 5 people who all get 4th. I started 7th or so, and with the gps time, blah blah blah, etc.)

Overall, for Men at Bellbrook, I came in 86th out of 86. For the points series, I believe I am now in 4th for the FG division. First and Third from the Ft Wayne race didn't show up to this one, and the winner for this race wasn't at Ft Wayne. The next race in the series will be at Kentucky Speedway, which should make for an interesting race. I am planning on taking a second bike along and doing a second race. Yeah, I know that I won't likely end up on and podiums, I'm there to have fun. Even if that means I enter the age group division for my second race using a 1974 Schwinn Varsity. Nothing says 'there to have fun' like riding a bike that weighs more than 2 or 3 other peoples bikes combined.

No comments:

Post a Comment